The abundance of flowing water in Vedelago has led to this area being inhabited ever since the Prehistoric age. Vedelago’s nearby waterways as well as its location between Via Postumia and Via Cornara made it an important town for Ancient Rome. In the Middle Ages, and up until Venetian rule of the territory in 1339, it was property of the city of Treviso, although that ownership was contested between many people. Once under Venetian rule, Vedelago quickly became a popular spot for noble families and political figures to built their villas. These villas functioned essentially as urban centres for the town and Vedelago’s current layout developed mainly around these villas.
Under the control of the Medieval municipal government, some of the smaller estates, as per the rule of the government officials, were simply combined into larger estates nearby. This practice seemed logical at the time but, with limited living spaces around the estates, the peasants were often reduced to very poor living conditions. These conditions luckily improved greatly in the 17th century with the growth of rice production in the area’s fields and two new railroad tracks, allowing Vedelago to escape its isolation by trading with and traveling to other areas. Today, Vedelago has developed into a very modern town and even has one of the largest recycling centres in all of Italy.
Source: Municipality of Vedelago www.comune.vedelago.tv.it