The municipality of Povegliano was originally settled in the 6th century BC and was eventually conquered, along with the rest of the Veneto region, by the Roman Empire. After the Roman Empire, the settlements of Povegliano eventually had to move farther away from the Piave river following its repeated floods. Throughout the Middle Ages there were numerous invasions of Northeastern European populations, who each left traces of their rule of the land throughout the landscape.
The part of Povegliano known as Santandrà was officially given an “imperial diploma” by the Holy Roman Emperor Ottone III in 994 after peacefully conceding lands north of Postumia to Rambaldo di Collalto, the Count of Treviso. In the Medieval age, elaborate decorations adorned the area surrounding the city of Treviso. Following the fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797, control of the area was disputed between the French and Austrians until the city was officially established in its current form in 1807. Although the town fell under Austrian rule until 1866, Povegliano was eventually annexed completely by the Italian Kingdom.
Today some of the best sites in Povegliano include the church of San Matteo, a beautiful church located in the area known as Camalò. This church is also located close to the ancient baptistery-church Pieve di Volpago, which dates back to the Longobard rule in the 6th and 7th centuries.
Info: Municipality of Povegliano www.comune.povegliano.tv.it