Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Miracoli
The Basilica of the Madonna dei Miracoli is an extremely important devotional building. It is located on the crossroads between the routes for Redigole and Motta di Livenza and was built after the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to Giovanni Cicagna on 9 March 1510. This year the 500th anniversary of the apparition is being celebrated.
The Franciscan architect Father Zorzi (the “Procurator of the Building”) took charge of the work, which was carried out between 1510 and 1514 and funded by donations from devotees. The basilica has a longitudinal layout with a nave and two side aisles. It is supported by octagonal pillars and there are decorated trusses in the roof of the nave. It was consecrated in 1513 and became a Minor Basilica in 1875 and a National Monument in 1877. In 1926 the choir was extended and a large organ was added.
Next to the Basilica there is the Monastery of the Franciscan Friars, which has two cloisters and a paved courtyard. The old cemetery for the friars, and what is left of an ancient plains woodland, are also part of the monastery. The Basilica’s museum, its invaluable archive and the library full of volumes of great historical importance of particular interest.
Photos: Municipality of Motta